Comparing similar instruments gives us an advantage, as the way they work, function and sound are very similar. However, when comparing two different instruments of say, the same lineage, that is when the difference is fairly and more clearly evident.
Today we compare an Electric guitar vs Bass, which despite belonging to the family of stringed instruments, are quite different and somewhat similar to each other.
What is an Electric guitar?
An electric guitar is a guitar that uses one or more pickups to convert the vibration of its strings into electrical signals. The vibration occurs when a guitar player strums, plucks, fingerpicks, or taps the strings.
The pickup converts the vibration of the strings into an electrical signal that is then sent to an amplifier. The amplifier increases the signal’s power and sends it to a loudspeaker, which converts it into sound.
History of electric guitar
Electric guitars were originally designed in the early 1930s by guitar companies such as Gibson and Fender. They used magnetic pickups, which convert the vibration of the strings into an electrical signal.
Early electric guitars were not very popular, and were only used in small numbers by country and western musicians. In the 1950s, however, electric guitars began to be used by rock and roll musicians. This helped to increase the popularity of electric guitars, and they have been used by musicians in every genre of music ever since.
Types of Electric Guitars
There are many different types of electric guitars, including solid body guitars, hollow-body guitars, and semi-hollowbody guitars.
Solid-body guitars are the most popular type of electric guitar, and they are the type that most people think of when they think of electric guitars.
Hollow-body guitars have a hollow body that is not solid, and they are often used by jazz and blues musicians.
Semi-hollowbody guitars have a solid body and a hollowed-out section in the middle of the body. They are often used by rock and country musicians.
Important aspects of electric guitars
Pickups make up for a very important part of the guitar, when it comes to their sound and instrumental value. There are many different types of pickups, including single-coil pickups, humbucking pickups, and P-90 pickups.
Single-coil pickups are the most common type of pickup, and they are used in most electric guitars.
Humbucking pickups are used in guitars that need a lot of power, such as guitars used in heavy metal music.
P-90 pickups are used in guitars that need a lot of distortion, such as guitars used in rock music.
An amplifier is what actually makes the guitar work, which makes it as essential of a part as any. There are many different types of amplifiers, including tube amplifiers and solid-state amplifiers.
Tube amplifiers are the most popular type of amplifier, and they are used in most rock and blues music.
Solid-state amplifiers are used in most country, jazz, and metal music.
Good products available online
Ibanez 6 String Solid-Body Electric Guitar
LyxPro Electric Guitar 39” inch Complete Beginner Starter Kit
What is a Bass Guitar?
Bass guitar can be one of the most fun and rewarding instruments to play. It is often the backbone of a band, providing the deep rhythms that drive the song. Bass guitar can be played in a variety of styles, from jazz and blues to metal and country.
The first thing you’ll need to do before you start playing bass guitar is to get yourself a bass.
You can buy a bass guitar second-hand, or you can purchase one new. There are a variety of different types and styles of bass guitars available on the market, so it’s important to do your research and find the one that’s right for you.
History of bass guitar
The Bass guitar first came out in the year 1930, by musician and inventor Paul Tutmarc. While its invention may have been a singular discovery, it was first brought into mass production and selling during the 1950s by George Fullerton and Leo Fender.
The most famous among its types was Fender Precision Bass. This type of Bass guitar has been used by many famous Bass guitarists, such as John Entwistle of The Who, and Geddy Lee of Rush.
Types of Bass Guitars
There are two types of Bass guitars. Both of those are listed below –
Electricbassguitaris the most common type of bass guitar and has four strings.
Acoustic bass guitar is the one that is not electric and has no pickups. It can also be counted amongst one of the classic types.
Important aspects of bass guitars
The Bass guitar is played by holding it horizontally, and plucking the strings with your fingers. You can also use a plectrum, but most Bass guitarists use their fingers. The Bass guitar has four strings, which are tuned to E-A-D-G-B-E.
One of the most important things to remember when playing the Bass guitar is to keep a steady rhythm. You need to be in time with the drummer, and make sure that your bass line is heard above the other instruments.
There are many different techniques that you can use on the Bass guitar. You can play single notes, or you can play chords. You can also play arpeggios, and create bass lines that will add dynamics to a song.
Good products available online
Ibanez 4 String Bass Guitar
Best Choice Products Acoustic Electric Bass Guitar
Differences between electric guitar vs bass
- In general terms, a bass guitar is rather bigger in size than an electric guitar. They also have thicker strings, which additionally, are lesser in number than the electric one. While electric guitars with six or seven strings are quite common, bass guitars do not, or very rarely exceed the limit of five.
- The most common way of playing an electric guitar is with a pick. It is preferable to play it that way. However, with a bass guitar, a pick is not necessarily required. You can strum along the strings with your fingers as well, with ease.
- For music like metal and rock, electric guitars are more preferable as they help in sound distortion, which is a big element of such music. A bass guitar on the other hand, produces quite a clean and smooth sound.
- While in terms of convenience, an electric guitar being smaller in size is more convenient to carry around. It takes up less space as compared to a bass guitar, that is larger. Still easier to carry, it does need a bigger space to occupy.
- Due to its structure and the way it plays, a bass guitar is easier to learn and better to play if you are beginning out. The electric guitar possesses a more complex structure, and is a better choice for a more advanced level.
- Bass guitars being easier to use, can be mastered over early as there aren’t as many challenges, as compared to an electric guitar, that can be often complicated and hard to learn.
- As we covered before, a bass guitar is relatively less complex and easier to learn than an electric guitar. One of the main qualities that makes it less complex, is its structure.
- The bass guitar being a beginner friendly guitar, it’s built is quite simple in comparison to an electric guitar. It includes less elements and thus, when put against each other for a cost comparison, is can easily be said, that a bass guitar is cheaper or more affordable than an electric guitar.
Get more information on p90 vs single coil
Playing guitar can be a lot of fun, and it can also be a great way to improve your musical skills. Guitar is an important part any band, and it is essential that you learn how to play it properly. If you want to be a successful guitarist, you need to practice regularly and learn as much as you can about the instrument.
However, you must first learn more and more about the type of guitar you would like to play and master. It does not matter where you start out. Starting at the bass guitar, and moving to the electric one is not a bad choice, neither is moving from the electric to bass guitar. It all depends.
Understanding the instrument, learning more and more about it, and experimenting. Making sure that you find the right fit for you, is the way to go. So, get yourself one of these, and start learning today!